What causes persistent headache while on treatment for sinus infection?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Had what appeared to be a bad sinus and ear infection. On doctor's orders I stopped taking decongestants and followed treatment of antibiotic, ibuprofen and mucinex. Yet I continue to have a persistent headache with a lingering fever, sinus congestion, loss of appetite and a chronic dry gagging cough often leading to dry heaves/vomiting. Currently completing a course of Antibiotics (biaxin - 2 doses left) and using ibuprofen for headache and fever and mucinex -dm to help with cough. Also take 50mg Losartan, 5mg Bystolic and 5mg Eliquiis daily.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Along with the medicines Steam inhalation, salt water gargling,

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
Most of upper respiratory tract infection and sinusitis are viral in nature and requires only symptomatic treatment. It usually subsides within 7 to 10 days.
You are on right course of treatment, kindly complete the treatment.
Apart from that I would suggest you to take plenty of water, especially warm water. Warm Salt water gargling three to four times a day. Steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil in it.
Take table spoon of honey with warm water in the morning.
Kindly follow this measures along with medicines you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj