Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

What causes persistent foul smell in the nose?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hi, Doctor!
I had food poisoning and vomit went through my nose. Ugly, I know. Now, 7 days later, there is a persistent foul smell in my nose. Rinsing it does nothing. Thoughts?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It s proper to see an ENT Doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do think it is important to have a proper check up for the nasal passages. Persistent foul smell in the nose would require that an infection be excluded. This would be most probable in case you also experience nasal discharge.

A review by an ENT specialist would be worth while. Your doctor would do a simple nasal lavage and fibroscopy, an endoscopic exam to visualize what is wrong at the level of the nasal passages.

In case of an infection, antibiotics would be important.

I suggest you consult an ENT specialist. Temporally using normal saline to continue washing the nostrils would be proper.

Do not hesitate asking further questions in case of need. Kind regards.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes persistent foul smell in the nose? 29 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Do you think I can start with AB? Would neti pot lavage be sufficient?
I don't have a regular doctor, and to see a specialist takes 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are right.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

I would suggest you take an antibiotic. A drug like Amoxicillin - Clavulinic acid or a Z - pack should be appropriate as you await to see your doctor along with nasal irrigation.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor