What causes persistent foul smell in the nose?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, Doctor!
I had food poisoning and vomit went through my nose. Ugly, I know. Now, 7 days later, there is a persistent foul smell in my nose. Rinsing it does nothing. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It s proper to see an ENT Doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do think it is important to have a proper check up for the nasal passages. Persistent foul smell in the nose would require that an infection be excluded. This would be most probable in case you also experience nasal discharge.

A review by an ENT specialist would be worth while. Your doctor would do a simple nasal lavage and fibroscopy, an endoscopic exam to visualize what is wrong at the level of the nasal passages.

In case of an infection, antibiotics would be important.

I suggest you consult an ENT specialist. Temporally using normal saline to continue washing the nostrils would be proper.

Do not hesitate asking further questions in case of need. Kind regards.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 29 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Do you think I can start with AB? Would neti pot lavage be sufficient?
I don't have a regular doctor, and to see a specialist takes 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are right.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

I would suggest you take an antibiotic. A drug like Amoxicillin - Clavulinic acid or a Z - pack should be appropriate as you await to see your doctor along with nasal irrigation.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari