What causes persistent folliculitis?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been taking antibiotics for persistent folliculitis since quite a while. I either take doxy 100mg OR Augmentin 625. I would lile to know of there is any other antibiotic I can try coz same antibiotics again amd again is not good I assume. Also, Augmentin 625 works better for me.

Also, I wanted to start multi vitamin tablets on my own with no prescriptions. Is Zincovit for Apez labs a good option? And will it impact my Augmentin and dapsone intake daily ?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use doxycycline

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's not good to change antibiotics.
If doxycycline suits you it can be used.
Along with that also use flucinolone shampoo.
Yes zincovit can be used.
It doesn't have any side effect and does not interact with any drug.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 30 minutes later
Sorry maybe i miscommunicated. Augmentin is the one that I use normally. But every month or two months I repeat the 5 day 650mg course of Augmentin. I wanted to know if i can change my antibiotic because repeated use of the same antibiotic can reduce its effect in the long run. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use augmentin

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Its better if you continue with the same antibiotic till the time it's working.
Changing antibiotic will lead to resistance to even the other antibiotic hence it's better to continue with augmentin.
Thank you.