What causes persistent fluid in ears with allergic rhinitis?

ENT Specialist
Question
My son lived with some college friends who had two kittens they brought to live with them in January and he is allergic to cats. By February he had a sore throat and doctor said he had fluid in ears in early march. He had an antibiotic and felt better. But fluid continued in ears. He went back to doctor due to pounding headache. Took Benadryl that night and was better but every time in apartment headache started so doctor asked him to move out. He did and started feeling better. But still not 100 percent yet. His ears finally popped in early XXXXXXX using a nettipot. He also had a steroid shot in April and some oral steroids. Middle of XXXXXXX he had hay fever and runny eyes which has cleared up. He has been taking zyrtec and seems to help. Since late XXXXXXX he has felt better but now ears are just stuffy mostly at night with the right side of neck sore near the scm muscle close to ear at night and right side of tongue sore at same time. Do you think he still has fluid in ears.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He seems to be having fluid in the ears...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I have gone through the history thoroughly and understood the problem.

According to your history, he does seem to be having fluids in the ear, which is secondary to his allergic rhinitis. The methods to confirm this are otoscopic examination and Tympanometric evaluation.

Meanwhile he has to continue his steroid nasal spray. If he is having problems with fluticasone nasal spray, he can switch it over to momentasone spray which has lesser side effects.

Let him continue with claritine. If the fluid in the ear is confirmed, he would require ventilating tube inserted to drain out the fluid.

Meanwhile he should perform regular steam inhalation and drink plenty of warm water.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes persistent fluid in ears with allergic rhinitis? 19 minutes later
Why is his ear stuffy and neck and tongue sore at night? when his tongue is sore it has a little white vein that we can see near the front but on the side of his tongue. But in morning all is gone. I do have air purifier running in his bedroom all night.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nasal block is the prime cause...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

Mouth breathing is the cause of sore throat, sore neck and ulcers in the oral cavity.

When the nose is congested or blocked, the Eustachian tube gets occluded, creating pressure imbalance in the middle ear. Long standing Eustachian tube obstruction causes fluid accumulation in the middle ear.

So, the root cause of all the problems is the nose, which has to be treated appropriately.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon