What causes persistent flu symptoms?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in General Health
Question: I have persistent flu like symptom for almost 2 months. but with no fever i might felt well for one day and then the flu started again, and also I have persistent sore throat. my whole body ache. also I w have hot flashes, mainly at night. sometimes, I feel very cold. it is like hot and cold. fatigue and constipation and frequency in urination, but have to sit in the toilet for a little while before I can empty out my bladder. I am on heart medication, like
Clopidogrel 75 mg                    
Carvedilol 6.25 mg - 2 times               -
Atorvastatin 10 mg                     
Synthroid 88 mcg                    
Doxepin 25 mg 2 times               
Lorazepam 1 mg 11/2 a day     

I am going to see my doctor tomorrow. what should I suggest to him that he can do to help me. I am tired being tired. My friend told me that the way I felt is being older. is it how you will feel when you get old? I have a stent put in last may. that;s the reason I am on so much medication. I just stopped taking atovastation for 4 days to see if that;s reason why I am aching all over my body, but it make no different. what kinds of test that you suggest that I should ask my doctor to do>     
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern. Here are some of the tests I would like you to get done

1. Complete blood count to know for anaemia. Low hemoglobin can cause such symptoms
3. Vit b12 and folic acid levels along with vitamin d . Low vitamin d is known to cause generalised body aches
4. Get your thyroid profile checked
5. I would like you to get fasting blood sugars, hba1c and a urine routine done
6. If the above tests are negative get a c reactive protein, anti nuclear antibody, total cpk test done . These tests are done to rule out antibody mediated injury to the cells

Atorvastatin is a very essential drug, please do not stop it as it might cause stent thrombosis

I hope I was of help, please get back to me for any further clarifications

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 52 minutes later
should I go for flu shot now? will my symptom makes me feel worse?

Thanks for the answers. I will bring these concerns to my doctor tomorrow. I have the following surgery done:
hysterectomy-1995
throidectomy-2005
cholecystectomy -1999
I will like to take achinacea but I was told it interacts with my Clopidogrel. is it true?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Flu shot not required

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

I don't think you require a flu shot now, I recommend you to get blood tests done before going for any form of treatment.

Echinasea is known to increase bleeding tendencies when taken along with clopidogrel, please do not take it unless asked to by your doctor

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later
would recommend a daily vit with iron, or I should wait until I do all the tests first before starting the vitamins regimen? You have been very very helpful. I will recommend this site to my friends.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Iron can't be taken without undergoing tests

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for such kind words, you can ask a question directly to me anytime in the future by starting your question as 'dear Dr Rakesh Madhyastha '

Iron unlike other essential minerals cannot be taken without getting tested as higher amounts are known to be toxic . You can know your iron status by asking for serum iron study which included serum iron, serum ferritin , transferrin saturation and iron binding capacity

CPK is a method of knowing the level of muscle injury that is happening . It is very helpful in patients with generalised body ache to know if muscle is involved

I am going for my daily rounds of inpatients now and there is a cadaveric renal transplant after that, I will be able to get back to you in 3-5 hours from now if you have any further queries

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 minutes later
thanks Dr XXXXXXX Madhyastha . You are so great! have a nice day and I will let you how my appointment with my doctor goes tomorrow.

grace
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I will be waiting to hear from you. Thank you once again for appreciating me

regards
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX Madhyastha:

I went to see my family doctor today. He think that my sore throat may be due to acid reflex and want me to take protonic in the morning. He will access me again beginning of January if the soar throat did not get any better. He did what you suggested, order blood work for cbc, A1c, TSH and CPK. and urine routine. His conclusion of my diagnosis was that it might be due to the Atorvastatin 10 mg that I am taking. He advice that I stop Atorvastin for 3 weeks for the drug to be completely out of my system and then re- access me again. of course, the blood work that I did today will be able to reveal to him more which is going to be out on monday and he is going to call me to let me know of my result on monday. No action today except stopping taking Atorvastin and starts protonic, the rest have to wait till Monday. yes, c reactive protein, anti nuclear antibody, can this be done from blood work. I am sure he included this as well. Thanks again. Your advice is so helpful.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Its nice to hear from you again.

It is true atorvastatin can cause generalised body ache however it is only seen in patients receiving atorvastatin of more than 40 mg per day. Toxicity of atorvastatin will raise CPK so we can tell if Atrovastain was the cause once we get the results.

I would recommend you to avoid strenous physical activities for now.

Please let me know the results so that I can give you a second opinion about it

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX Madhyastha:

Can you give me the reason why I have to avoid strenuous physical activities? I was told to exercise is good for my heart. thank your for the reply, I value very much your opinion. btw, I did feel very tired and not well during a recent exercise.

regards,
grace

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To avoid muscle injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello

You have asked an excellent question. I enjoy active dialogues where the patient thinks and gets back.
The reason why I asked to you avoid strenuous activities is because both your doctor and I agree upon the possibility of the CPK being high. Muscle injury ( micro tears ) that happen during strenuous activities can further increase cpk causing injury to the kidneys.

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 19 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX Madyastha:

I forgot to mention to you that the doctor did prescribe antibiotic, Amox/k clay 500, taken twice a day just in case if I do have flu. I took 1 yesterday. also I took Synthroid this morning and prontoni before breakfast.

I am so happy to know the reason why I have to refrain from exercise for now. this site is so useful because they give them an idea before going in to discuss their condition with a doctor. You are such a knowledgeable doctor, hope you are here so that you can be my doctor. thanks

regards,
grace
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anitbiotics might not be indicated

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call last night and there was a cadaveric kidney transplant.

I do not prescribe antibiotics to my patients unless I can find a focus of infection, they have fever or a raised total count. Taking antibiotics unnecessarily will make you prone towards resistance to that drug and it might not work the next time. We have only a few handful of antibiotics that do work now.

I am definitely your doctor, there is no doubt about it. Unfortunately I cannot examine you.

I am happy to be of help