What causes persistent fever, vomiting and chills?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been suffering with what I thought was a cold since late October. It has gotten progressively worse to the point of last week I barely got out of bed for 3 days. I have been to one urgent care and my primary physician once at the onset of illness. Antibiotics steroids off meds..no improvement...only worse.when I move around the house doing chores I cough and even throw up...yesterday am while trying to bathe I had to lean outside of tub and vomit for maybe 5 minutes...my. Situation if taking a toll on my body...Things I tried are Theraflu OTC daytime...nighttime...threw up the nighttime... I use cloraseptic some but not often to calm throat... peppermint tea... peppermint oil to open airways... I am wheezy in my throat...fevers come and go along with chills and sweats...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need change of antibiotics and chest Xrays

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be respiratory tract infection and can be involving both upper and lower respiratory tract as the symptoms suggest.

A detailed follow up with primary care physician or pulmonologist is advised alongwith baseline chest X-ray and Xray paranasal sinuses as well as complete blood counts for white cell count and acute inflammatory markers like CRP. The sputum if any should be sent for cultures and gram staining.

Meanwhile antibiotics need to be reviewed and preliminary combination of coamoxiclav or azithromycin or Moxyfloxacin should be started alongwith anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine alongwith OTC analgesics like acetaminophen. Cough expectorant should be started as well. Steam inhalations and saline water gargles will also help.

It's better to avoid Xanax meanwhile as it can cause respiratory depression and during such episodes first blood gases should be done to look for any signs of compromised oxygen in the blood due to respiratory causes.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D