What causes persistent fever in a 11 year old child?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: my grandson, age 11 has had a fever for 5 days, doctors say it is a virus? Could he have pneunmonia?
controlling fever with OTC Tylenol & Advil only - no energy, no breathing issues
Family went to beach for 1 week, back home to XXXXXXX 4 days then went to a Lake for the Weekend - Fever started on Sunday night from Lake Weekend.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs blood tests and clinical examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand that your grandson is having fever for more than 5 days now.
If there are no respiratory symptoms, pneumonia is unlikely.
However other viral causes have to be ruled out.
He needs a clinical examination by his pediatrician.
He may order blood tests to make sure everything is fine.
Wishing your grandson good health and speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar