What causes persistent fever despite taking Meftal P?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Gave my 7 yr old meftal p at 9 pm for a temp if 101. Temp increased to 103 so gave her calpol at 1am. The temp is still 103. Can I give her meftal p again now?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give Calpol , not Meftal P

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

At this point, it would be wise to repeat Calpol rather than Meftal P.

Calpol is a potent antipyretic, but not Meftal p.

The antipyretic dose is 10mg/kg can be given at 4-6 hourly basis.

For children <12 years: 10 mg/kg PO q4-6hr PRN(as and when required) basis; not to exceed 2.6 g/day (5 doses/24 hours).

If you follow above regimen, then fever should be brought under control.
Hence, you can start your Calpol as per dosage from this moment.Earlier given dose can be excluded for simplification.

Tomorrow if fever does not come to control, make sure to visit your physician for effective anti-infection therapy.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T