What causes persistent fever and nausea despite taking medication?
My baby is 10 months old.She was having fever from last 5 days.In starting i was giving her Paracetamol which was not so useful for 3 days.Then i gave her Taxim O antibiotic along with paracetamol which was much helpful and fever reduced yesterday.She is also having lots of gastric trouble from past 5-6 days and feels nausea while eating.She poops sometimes immediately after food.She vomits also.Yesterday she was not having any fever but having lots of gastric trouble and vomit.So i gave her Granirex and ranitidine .This resulted in immediate poop and her fever also returned back.I gave her vomit medicine and paracetamol yesterday.When again i visited doctor ,he recommended Zanocin antibiotic 5ml 2 times and zanocin with ORS and megaspan.Does giving Zanocin antibiotic without any heavy loose motion will form more gastric problem in her??Is is fine to give her 5ml antibiotic when she is having so much gastric problem including fever and vomit.Help me plz doc...can i give her zanocin at this time..wat if it will form more gas in baby.Please suggest medicines.
Thank you .
Please stop all antibiotics - it looks like only viral illness and diarrhea
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better.
Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.
There is no need to use antibiotics (like TAXIM-O or Zanocin) unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.
I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).
Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Fever is now undercontrol after giving Zanocin antibiotic.Yet she do not want to eat anything except bm.She feels vomit on taking other foods and want to take only my milk.Why she is feeling vomit so much?And wat should i give to her coz now she is 10 months and cannot live only on my milk.I Ã m also not having much milk as before.Is there any blood tests needed for it?Can she have any serioys illness like jaundice or malaria or something??
No need for any blood test as fever is under control
Hi.... I understand your concern. Coming to your queries directly one by one -
1. When the kid is recovering from viral gastroenteritis, it is natural to prefer mother feeds for such a young baby. It will take some time for the appetite to return to normal for other foods.
2. Vomiting is also common. As I have suggested in my previous interaction, Ondansetron can be given in the dose of 0.15mg/kg/day thrice a day for a day, half an hour before feeds. But this is a prescription drug.
3. No need for any blood tests as the fever is remitting.
4. Though I have not examined the kid directly, by what you say, I feel that the kid is having only a viral illness with diarrhea.
5. Coming to your query about feeding a 10 month old -
At this age you can start giving Cerelac stage one rice or Nestum rice stage 1 etc. All are same in calories and energy. Only thing is palatability which is subjective for each kid.
Other home-made food options will be -
1. Daal and rice well cooked and made into a porridge along with ghee
2. Boiled apple or banana and mashed into a paste.
3. Any made cereal porridge preparation with additional ghee added.
Remember certain principles like -
1. Add one food material / cereal or fruit per week. This will be useful because if he develops vomiting or diarrhoea, we will know what to avoid.
2. Add vegetables and fruits made into a paste surely to avoid constipation.
3. Do not add too much sugar as it may cause diarrhoea.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
As i have given her zanocin antiiotic 2 times for 1 day.Is it compulsory to give antibiotic for 3 days to complete course??If i give vomit medicine half hour before food then when can i give antacid to her??Can i give gripe water to her for relaxation in gas?I have not given antibiotic at today night to her but many people saying to complete course for at least 3 days.wat to do plz suggest.I find her allright without any fever n problem except vomit and so stopped antibiotic.
Suggestions on antibiotic
Hi.... Coming to your queries -
1. Stop antibiotics - no need to continue as there was no need to start.
2. Please avoid antacid....This is not gastritis.
3. You can give gripe water, but it has got no medicinal value. At the same time no harm in giving too.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Problem of vomit is not gone yet.Can i give Domperidone to her for both gas and vomit??Plz recommend something that i can give for both gas n reflux problem.If i give domperidone then about wat dose should i give and how many times for how many days,so that problem of gas n vomit extincts.
Thank u in advance.
Please get back to me with weight of the kid
Hi... In pediatric medicine some of the doses are based on current weight of the kid. i suggest you get back to me with weight of the kid so that I can suggest you the dose.
But as such there is no need to use Domperidone if the kid is not having any vomiting.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosed with sacoidosis taking att defcort persisting fever advise
- Suggest treatment for persisting fever even after using medications
- Infant with persisting fever not responding to flexon malaria
- Persistent fever
- Causes of persistent fever
- Suffering with chicken pox persisting fever cause of fever
- Suffering from cough chills fever taking tylenol persistent fever suggestions
- Persistent fever and headache
- Persistent fever 994 after paratyphoid
- Causes for persistent fever during typhoid treatment
- Suggest treatment for viral diarrhea in children
- What causes pain in both the legs of a 4 year old child?
- Suggest treatment for atrial septal defect in children
- What causes bad body odor while suffering from fever?
- What causes eye bleeding while coughing in children?
- Suggest remedy for frequent infections in children
- What causes severe cough, vomiting and stomach pain in a child?
- Is air travel safe while suffering from ear infection?
- Does intake of Wymox help in curing viral fever in an infant?
- Are green diarrhea and pus cells in stool signs of bacterial infection?