• question-icon

What causes persistent fever and loose motion in a child?

Posted on Wed, 26 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi dr,
My 1 yr 3 months old daughter is on the peak of her teething. She is very cranky and has developed a fever too today. She also has loose motion happening 2-3 times in a day. Is this due to teething or some viral infection? I gave her Sumol plus for fever. Please suggest. She weighs 9.3 kgs and her length is 81 cms
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to HCM. Can understand your concerns.

During teething in a child, there is irritation at gums and as a result child puts fingers and other things in mouth which eventually leads to stomach infection.

During stomach infection, there is loose stools and fever. The main thing that we have to take care in loose stools is dehydration, so starting ORS solution will be beneficial in preventing dehydration.

In my opinion, you should give paracetamol syrup for fever. Prebiotic like enterogermina ampule once a day for three days also help in increasing gut immunity. If no improvement in 24 hours then antibiotic needs to be started.

If there is decreased activity, persistent vomiting or loose stools then child needs immediate examination by doctor.

You can start vitamin D drops 400 IU per day for 2 months so that teeth erupts easily.

I hope this will help you. Wishing your child good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 20 hours later
Thanks dr. I have started the ampules already. Today also she is feverish but there were no loose motion rather little constipated. I am giving her vitanova drops which is vitamin d3 since birth. Is it the same you are suggesting? If not please suggest the name of the drops so that I can buy them easily. Please suggest something which helps in quick and easy teething . Many thanks !
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both are same

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Vitanova drops is same as vitamin D drops. Continue it till 1 year of age.

Loose stools have decreased, that means child is responding to treatment. Continue it for two more days. If persist, then re-examination by doctor should be done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician