• question-icon

What causes persistent fever and fatigue despite taking antiviral medication?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had a fever for the last 5 days, 2 days ago I went to the er, they ran tests for all know lethal viral infections and for 28 strands of flu, also a chest X-ray, which all test came back neg, they said I have some kind of viral infection but not one that's lethal. They put me on the antiviral drug XXXXXXX flu I am on day 3 of that meds my fever has not yet subsided bit has not gotten over 100.6, I even waited almost 8 hours since I took my last dose of Tylenol. I am so tired and need to get better any advice?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
too early to worry. vitamin C and watch fever and symptoms for a couple of days more..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

I understand it can be disturbing with persistence of fever and fatigue and other symptoms despite the fact that you are on antiviral medication.

However, be rest assured there is nothing serious or alarming as of now. It's normal even with appropriate medication for fever to persist even for up to a week.

I suggest you continue taking your medication , drink a lot of water and eat enough fruits especially vitamin C containing fruits like oranges. This could help much when it comes to fatigue . At some point, vitamin C tablets could aid for fatigue.

However, in case fever persists , aggravates or you start experiencing more pain and malaise despite taking drugs appropriately, this might imply that a bacterial infection could be associated.

This might require your doctors reevaluation , a complete blood count and prescription of antibiotics.

For now, it's too early to worry but remain watchful.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health .

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain