question-icon

What causes persistent fever and cough?

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: Son has been sick for 2 weeks with fever cough and doc prescribed for sinus infection. Not really getting better... Over a week and still gets fevers... Just woke up with rash all over his body.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Could be due to amoxycillin in a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Most often cough and cold occurs due to certain viral infections. Since the infectio n is peristing, the doctor had probably prescribed antibiotics like amoxycillin. Incidentally some viruses like Epstein Barr Virus are often involved and giving amoxycillin in such cases gives rise to rashes. It could be what is happening in the case of your son.

I would insist you to take him to a doctor so that he can examine the child and confirm.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician