• question-icon

What causes persistent fever and chills despite taking medication?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi my daughter is 6 yes old weight 14.8 kg she is having fever 103 anti biotic and meftal p one dose given last night but she is feelin chills and fever is not reducing im giving her tapped sponge from last one hour
Should i give her ibugesic plus

I have given her ibugesic plus 7.5 ml
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. Often such viral infections manifest with fever. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen (P-250, Crocin or Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. The minimum gap between two doses of Crocin is 4-6 hours. The doses of Crocin and Meftal P are independent of each other. Minimum gap between doses of Meftal P is 6-8 hours. However, I do not think that they would be needed to be used simultaneously. Ibugesic Plus contains ibuprofen and paracetamol and is an alternative to bring down the temperature. Be sure to give it in full stomach.

Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and giving some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Hi Doctor; should I continue with antibiotic as she is playful and normal when fever subsides she has little dry cough
Brief Answer:
Complete the course.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Since you have started them you should complete the course. However, it is a very bad practice to start antibiotics indiscriminately and without blood tests providing definite indication for their use. I would hope that restrain from indiscriminate use of antibiotics in the future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician