What causes persistent feeling of a lump in the throat?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hii
Was suffering from gerd since a year ago . Over time a felt some thing is there in my throat sensation. And that sensation is at the very back of tongue.I went to ent specialist. He diagnosed recurrent pharyngitis. He prescribed anti allergic medicine. But nothing helped me out. Then he said to have full abdominal usg. there I was diagnosed with gall stones. Then I went to surgeon, he removed my gall bladder. But gerd is still there . And feeling of some is there still persist. Strange thing is that when I eat I dont fell any thing in my throat. please guide.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consider treating GERD and evaluate for other causes...

Detailed Answer:

I realize you have posted this query to a gastroenterologist. However as the current gastroenterologist associated with this forum is unavailable, I have been asked to help you. I have taken a curbside reference with a gastroenterologist before finalising this drafted answer. Let me know if you aren't satisfied and I shall inform the administrator to get a formal answer from a gastroenterologist.

From what I understand you have a persistent abnormal sensation in your throat. You have this sensation in the back ground of recurrent pharyngitis. a gall bladder condition - post gall bladder removal status and GERD. It would have been better if you had mentioned your age, gender and the previous treatments tried.

Now besides recurrent pharyngitis and GERD there are few other organic as well as inorganic conditions that can cause this throat sensation. Accordingly blood tests to check hemoglobin, iron level, vitamin b12 and endoscopy are essential investigations necessary to identify the causes. I am not sure if these tests were performed earlier. If not, please discuss about it with your current doctor.

You should also consider treating GERD thoroughly. Gall stones as well as GERD may have similar symptoms. However we do see both conditions co-existing and treating one doesn't take care of other. I am not sure how you were treating GERD in the past. But use of proton pump inhibitor drugs along with prokinetic for a period 3 weeks along with dietary change and physical exercise are usual treatment options. You should treat GERD alone thoroughly if you need to get relieved from this throat sensation.

In a nutshell, since an ENT surgeon has already examined you, I am hopeful that all serious pathologies were rule out. This should put your mind about serious illness to rest. Consider treating GERD effectively. Let me know if you need help in treating GERD. Discuss about other causes besides recurrent pharyngitis that can cause the throat sensation. Perhaps the test listed above can help us rule out other causes. Stay away from anxiety and stressors. A good night sleep as well as yoga/transcedental meditation will benefit you.

Hope this address your concern. I will be glad to continue this discussion if you are satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Prasad