question-icon

What causes persistent fatigue, night sweats, shoulder pain and mass behind the jaw?

Posted on Mon, 25 Apr 2016
Question: starting 3 weeks ago, symptoms are:
2x1 inch mass behind jaw below ear (seems like fluid to touch)
fatigue, night sweats, shoulder and neck muscle aches
CBC - normal
TB test - Negative
Mono tests - negative
Antibiotics 1 week (Bactrim and Keflex) ineffective
Biopsy scheduled but not yet done
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound and FNAC helps

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your information.
To recapitulate: Male/42 - 3 weeks - 2 x 1 inch mass behind jaw and below ear - fluidy feeling - fatigue, night sweats, muscle ache of shoulder and neck muscles - said tests normal - Bactrim and Keflex for 1 week not effective - biopsy scheduled...

Please ask the question.
This may be an abscess related tot the lymph node or parotid salivary gland.
I would advise you the following:
Ultrasonography and FNAC or CT scan if possible to given an idea about the composition of the lump.
This helps in early diagnosis and further management.
Antibiotic and anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen should be continued.

Please let me know the reports of the said investigations if done or of the biopsy.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant (26 minutes later)
Had xray imaging done today, they said about 1-2 days for radiologist to look over and send to my regular doc.

Thanks for the quick response.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
waiting for the further reports.

Detailed Answer:
Please give me the reports and insist for Ultrasound and FNAC too .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon