What causes persistent facial paralysis?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: sir i have been suffering from face paralysis left side...and my left eye is partially enclosed...i m having it from 25 days ...initially it started with pain on back side of head and streching face with some kind of vibration.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of Bell's palsy.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Good afternoon.

I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the history given in your query as well as the uploaded picture. You seem to have developed a condition referred to as Bell's palsy (due to inflammation of the facial nerve) on your left side of the face.

For further evaluation & to rule out other causes of paralysis I would advise you to consult a physician for probable use of oral steroids like Prednisolone tablets twice a day for 10 days.

Since you are not able to close your eye properly, it needs to be lubricated with the use of artificial tears like Methylcellulose eye drops for day time plus an ointment that you should use at night.
You are also advised to see a physiotherapist to improve the weakness of the facial muscles and to accelerate the recovery.

Hope the suggestions given above could be useful.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar