• question-icon

What causes persistent exaggerated sense of smell?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Experiencing exaggerated sense of smell for 6 months - putrid odor from sofa, chairs. Cannot stand much longer.....
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

One possible cause for altered smelling sensation may be upper airway infections, involving the nasal cavity and sinuses. However they most commonly produce lowered sense of smell and have other symptoms such as nasal congestion and discharge, so if you have no such symptoms it is not that likely.

Another possible cause to be considered for heightened smell and unpleasant odors may be brain lesions affecting the olfaction (smelling) pathways. There are certain brain tumors (usually benign) which may manifest this way.
For that reason I would say that a neurological exam and a head MRI are necessary to search such lesions.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist