What causes persistent exaggerated sense of smell?
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
One possible cause for altered smelling sensation may be upper airway infections, involving the nasal cavity and sinuses. However they most commonly produce lowered sense of smell and have other symptoms such as nasal congestion and discharge, so if you have no such symptoms it is not that likely.
Another possible cause to be considered for heightened smell and unpleasant odors may be brain lesions affecting the olfaction (smelling) pathways. There are certain brain tumors (usually benign) which may manifest this way.
For that reason I would say that a neurological exam and a head MRI are necessary to search such lesions.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes heightened sense of smell thyroid
- What causes heighten sense of smell
- What causes nausea and extreme sense of smell
- What causes strong sense of smell
- What causes increase sense of smell with headache
- What causes persistent vomiting
- What causes nausea and dizziness and heightened sense of smell
- Loss sense of smell causes
- What causes loss in sense of smell and taste
- Increased sense of smell causes