What causes persistent essential tremors despite taking Primidone?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 3 Jul 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am on Primidone 50 mg x 2perday for essential tremor. I have been on it for about 3 years. It doesn't really control the tremors much of the time. My doctor and I have talked aboutt changing to inderal. I run a pretty low BP to begin with and have been reluctant to switch. What are the options I ought to tlak with him about (we have a good relationship--I'm a retired nurse and I was the chief nurse in a hospital where he was chief of staff. I just don't want to waste his time with fluttering around about what I want to do.)
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consider increasing the dosage of the Primidone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Since you refer to low blood pressure, Inderal may lower further it, so, other possibilities should be considered.

I think you should discuss with your Doctor about increasing the dosage of Primidone since it has a waste range of dosage when it comes to the essential tremor treatment ( from 50 mg to 750 mg daily).

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee