What causes persistent ear infection in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 17 May 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My son is 2 years and 7 months old. He was born with c-section on week 36th of pregnancy. He is otherwise well and healthy child, his growth pattern is really good with no previous serious illness seen on him.

Since the past 3 weeks, he had few episodes of flu and had ear infection about 2 weeks ago which he was treated with Suprax antibiotic (at younger age it was seen he was allergic to penicillins thus doctor chose Suprax instead of Amoxicillin)
He also recently got an aphthous ulcer on his gums, one about 3 to 4 weeks ago and second time now (with slight fever), this makes him not able to eat well.
I usually give him paracetamol syrup to ease his pain when eating and I got him some sort of a medication to apply on his gums it's called Oraheal.

The chief complaint is now that, from yesterday night he suddenly developed some sort of red patches in his thighs and legs, large red patches that seem sort of allergic reaction to me but I can't identify well. he woke up this morning and it got worse, some is now on his cheeks and hands and his legs is even more now.He is otherwise doing well and playful, eat quite good.

I'm suspecting allergy but i'm not sure what could cause, i first thought it could be due to the Orahealth cream on the applied on the gums but when i asked our pharmacist she said it's not possible as we only apply a little bit and won't necessarily cause anything, but last time when he had this i applied this for him and also seem to have had skin rash (but was totally different to this one it was normal skin rash all over his body).

I now gave him 5ml zyrtec and hoping if it's allergy it might get better?!

1.Please let me know what do you think he has?
2.is it allergy or something else? what do you suggest i should do ?
3.should i be worried about anaphylaxis?!
4.if we suppose the allergen was taken yesterday could anaphylaxis happen after so many hours or we can say as long as it didn't' happen until now then we shouldn't worry about it?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rashes possibly. Please upload an image.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I think that the rashes are due to an allergic reaction which is frequently associated with viral infections that manifest with cough and cold. I would request you to upload image of the affected areas. It will help me to evaluate the condition. You might done the right thing by giving zyrtec. Taking some antiallergic like levocetirizine (zyrtec) should help. You also should apply some emollient like calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion. I do not think that you need to worry about anaphylaxis

It might take a few days to recover and so you need to be patient.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy