What causes persistent dull pain in the collarbone area?

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I broke my collar bone more than three months ago.. Currently, the bone is still jutting out about the size of a large marble. There is occasionalyl a dull pain when I sleep. I did see a doctor and he x-rayed it and said it would heal by itself. Should'nt the bone move back into place or will it remain like that indefinitely?

XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
give it time to fully heal and to allow bone remodeling to take place
Detailed Answer:

Hi, I am Dr Ahmed Aly,
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion, such reductions may be done previously after the injury but i think in some fractures it is better to leave it as it is .

Your orthopedic would have mentioned it to you if needed any more reductions or further manipulation or fixations. Healing of bones may start within 2 weeks from injury , so your injury was more than 3 months ago, and it started healing long back.

I think this is why your Orthopedician chose to leave it to heal by it self .

After healing takes place the new bone formed (callus) may show an increase in size but do not worry by time your bone will take its normal position and size and bone remodeling occurs .

If later on the collar bone affects the general appearance or daily normal activities you may ask your orthopedic for osteotomy or removal of excess bone.

Do not worry usually clavicle fractures are treated only with an arm sling, so i think just be a bit patient and you will be fine. Just give it time to heal .

For now you may use painkillers like tab Tylenol when needed , hot massages with topical analgesic gels like Diclofenac, wearing an arm sling will be helpful with most of cases .

Further interventions are to be considered only if it affects the general look or daily activities.

Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee