Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes persistent dull pain in the collarbone area?

Answered by
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 441 Questions

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I broke my collar bone more than three months ago.. Currently, the bone is still jutting out about the size of a large marble. There is occasionalyl a dull pain when I sleep. I did see a doctor and he x-rayed it and said it would heal by itself. Should'nt the bone move back into place or will it remain like that indefinitely?

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
give it time to fully heal and to allow bone remodeling to take place
Detailed Answer:

Hi, I am Dr Ahmed Aly,
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion, such reductions may be done previously after the injury but i think in some fractures it is better to leave it as it is .

Your orthopedic would have mentioned it to you if needed any more reductions or further manipulation or fixations. Healing of bones may start within 2 weeks from injury , so your injury was more than 3 months ago, and it started healing long back.

I think this is why your Orthopedician chose to leave it to heal by it self .

After healing takes place the new bone formed (callus) may show an increase in size but do not worry by time your bone will take its normal position and size and bone remodeling occurs .

If later on the collar bone affects the general appearance or daily normal activities you may ask your orthopedic for osteotomy or removal of excess bone.

Do not worry usually clavicle fractures are treated only with an arm sling, so i think just be a bit patient and you will be fine. Just give it time to heal .

For now you may use painkillers like tab Tylenol when needed , hot massages with topical analgesic gels like Diclofenac, wearing an arm sling will be helpful with most of cases .

Further interventions are to be considered only if it affects the general look or daily activities.

Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Osteotomy

doctor1 MD

my wife is gone for tibia bone fracture on left leg on 25.04.2012 & got surgery on 30.04.2012. now she started walking with walker but due to poor bone density & feeling pain while walking she is very much depressed. so how long she will take to recover. what nutrient or food help us in recovering from the injury

doctor1 MD

I have front lower leg pain including knee and ankle when sitting with leg slightly elevated such as when driving my car . It goes away when standing. ( I had the cartilage removed from knee in 1952, but this is a new problem.) Thank you for your ideas.

doctor1 MD

Yes I live in Dayton Ohio and had a bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery in november and had some complications...I apparently had some underlying autoimmune disease that caused some delayed healing. I had to have my wounds opened up and had to have a wound vac for 2 months. I am a very active 41 year old with no underlying health issues besides some vague autoimmune concerns. I need to have some revision done for a number of big toe is still turned on its side due to the healing process and my second toe is still sticking up in the air. I had a ruptured plate in the ball of my foot when all this first happened and then a dislocated second toe (last may- finally had surgery in Nov).I still feel like I am walking on a pebble. Basically I am needing to find an orthopedic surgeon who can do a revision but also someone who is very experienced or can collaborate with a rheumatologist. I had another MRI done and it says I have possible delayed union or developing a non-union osteotomy...marrow edema...chondromalacia (which I didn t know you could get in your foot) area that may have avascular necrosis...mild degenerative changes. If you have any wisdom please let me know...I need to find someone who is an expert.

doctor1 MD

What should someone do if they suspect they could have ehlers danlos? For as long as I can remember i have had joint and muscle pain . They told me it was growing pains. Everyone thought I played sports because I was tall and thin, but I was never...

doctor1 MD

What should someone do if they suspect they could have ehlers danlos? For as long as I can remember i have had joint and muscle pain . They told me it was growing pains. Everyone thought I played sports because I was tall and thin, but I was never...

doctor1 MD

I'm a 57 year old woman with cartilage loss in both knees. I also developed water in one knee which had to be taken out. I find it increasingly difficult to get up once I lie or sit down. The knees are very stiff and the knee which contained the...

doctor1 MD

I m 28 years old. I have a lump just below right side of right knee. There s no pain unless I get down on my knee. Have had an x-Ray and it was clear. Since the x-ray it s has gotten bigger. I have had it for about 4-5 years. It feels more like cartilage and not a bone. I m not an athlete. What could it be? Could it be serious? Why won t it go away?