What causes persistent dryness in mouth and rough tongue?

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For the past 4 to 5 days I will get an extremely dry mouth. It is so dry that when I drink anything it does not relieve the dryness. It is like my tongue and the inside of my cheeks are rough like sand paper and drinking fluids does not help at all. I am drinking water, not taking any new medicines, and feel perfectly fine except for when my mouth goes dry. I did notice this morning when I gargled with listerine it actually burned my mouth. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its burning mouth syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

As per your symptoms you are having burning mouth syndrome, which can be due to:

1. vitamin deficiency (specially B-12)
2. poorly fitting denture
3. neural problems
4. certain medication induced
5. fungal infection of mouth
6. allergy to food additives

Treatment depends on the cause. As mentioned above, there's a need to rule out the cause that is affecting and start treatment accordingly.

Meanwhile, you may start taking multivitamins containing B complex. Also take excessive fluid which will prevent from dehydration.

Also take chewing gums for increasing saliva secretion.
If problem still persists then please consult your dentist.

Hope I answered your query, let me know if there's any further query.

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee