What causes persistent dry itchy cough at night and early morning?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi, I have been on fexofenidne, beconase & now an asthma puffer which was added on Thursday. I have a persistent dry itchy cough especially at night & first thing in the morning. Just wanted to know at what stage should I go back to the Doctor. I work in the health care profession so was a bit concerned if it was contagious. I have suffered since I was a teenager with hay fever, iam now 55 yrs old. The only other meds iam on is occasional reflux. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not contagious.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Possibility of asthma is more in your case.
And inhaled treatment is best for asthma. So continue with it.
You should visit your doctor regularly atleast 3 monthly. Regular monitoring with PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) is advisable every six monthly.
But if you develop shortness of breath, wheezing, uncontrolled chest pain or pressure, uncontrolled cough and expectoration etc than you should consult your doctor in emergency.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.