• question-icon

What causes persistent dizziness in an elderly person?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello, my name is xxxxxxx. I have a condition when i get up in the morning, I get these dizzy spells, that I cannot function. they come and go on different days. I have talked to my Dr. about this, have had a CT scan of my head.......it was fine, went to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx advised by my Dr., did some checking, some head movements, saying it could be crystals floating in my ear, really did not help the dizzy's. I get these spells about 2-3 times a month, stagger when I walk, and very unsteady......I am a 82 yr. old female, wt. is 149 lb. do a small workout 5 days a wk. Could you annualize my condition in this description ??...thank you, Maxine C.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having vertigo. Please tell me do you have dizziness only when getting up or otherwise too like turning head or going downstairs?
Any history of hypertension or diabetes?
Any difficulty in hearing?
What medicines have u been taking so far?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better and prescribe you accordingly.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Hello, I have been asked if the room feel's like it is spinning.? no it does not, but in the morning when I get up, on the mornings I have this condition, maybe 2-3 times a month, and start to walk to the bathroom, I have to hold on and go sit down. sometimes it lasted 2-3 hr.s, other times it will last 2-3 days?? The vertigo idea with the Dr.s I have seen, with me saying "NO" the room does "NOT" spin !!!. I'm just getting over a session with this condition, and after about 36 hours, I'm just wiped out, and glad it's getting much better, the way it usually happen's, and dreading the next session. I am light-headed when I walk! Stairs don't seem to bother me, or turning my head. No history of hypertension, or diabetes, or hearing problems.
My Meds. 1. Alprazolam tab.0.5mg 2. Metoprolol Tartrate tab.25mg 3. Thyroxine tab.75mcg. ........Maxine C.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.

Based on your information, the dizziness seems to be related to postural hypotension. I would advise you to wait for few minutes in bed I'm sitting position before you get up. keep a check on your morning and evening blood pressure readings for consecutive 3 days and if you find any severe changes, you should consult your physician.
If still symptoms are there, take tablet stemetil as and when required. This is a prescription medication.

Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 32 minutes later
Thank you for your review, and advice, and will try your suggestions.....Maxine M.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I hope my advise proves useful for you.
You are always welcome with any further questions.
Wish you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist