What causes persistent dizziness and fatigue while on Lisinopril and Famotidine?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Yes I've been taking FAMOTIDINE for a couple months now for heartburn
I also take LISONPORIL - HYDROCHLORIDE 20-25 MGS & SIMVASTATIN 40 MGS . I notice I feel lightheaded sometimes dizzy weak ....especially when doing ANY type of physical exertion even moving a few chairs ....
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be the drugs

Detailed Answer:

if all your tests are OK (including the hematocrit, creatinine, sodium, potassium, calcium, CPK, TSH, ESR) then it could be the drugs or psychological causes like depression. The drugs may affect you in more than one ways.

Your antihypertensive drugs may cause fatigue and dizziness particularly when the blood pressure is low (systolic less than 100mmHg) or when postural hypotension is present (that is low blood pressure when rising from the recumbent position). Simvastatin may cause weakness because it may affect the muscles. Finally famotidine is not 'innocent' either because it may - rarely though - cause both dizziness and fatigue.

Depression is a disorder that causes various symptoms. If you feel down all the time then you may be suffering from it. All the other potential causes will have to be excluded first...

What you can do: you can try to stop one drug at a time (let your doctor guide you on this) until you can detect whether any of them affects you in a negative way or not.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!