What causes persistent diarrhea?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the last eight months I have experienced frequent evacuations (3-4 times a day), sticky, poorly formed stools, often even first thing in the morning. Sometimes diarrhea. No pain associated with it.
I just recently (8 weeks) had a total knee replacement and am taking deluded three times a day at this point. At first, the dilaudid 20 mg (per day) was causing constipation, but at this point, as I have reduced the amount of dilaudid as I recover, the old pattern is returning. I am now at 12 mg per day.
I haven't seen my doctor about it. As you can imagine- I have been dealing with an entirely different issue these days.
Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow. ..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking on HCM!
You are reporting to have had diarrhea for the last eight months.
To my opinion your symptoms may be related with:
- IBS with diarrhea (mire common )
- malabsorniton (rarely)
Otherwise since your age is more than 40 years and the diarrhea has more than 4 weeks than I suggest to do:
- colonoscopy
-abdominal ultrasound
- fecal culture test plus fecal candida test.
Meantime I would suggest to use probiotics, antispasmodic drugs like dyclocimin. It is important to avoid unnecessary stress.
Hope it was helpful to you
Dr.Klerida