• question-icon

What causes persistent diarrhea while treating breast cancer?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had chronic diarrhea for 7 years. None of the medications, which have been prescribed for me don't help. Many times I only have a few seconds to reach the bathroom and then only a little feces come out. I have to wear pads everyday and diapers at night and having gas in my system is constant. I do drink a lot of water to hydrate my body, but I am at my wits end about what to do. I believe this condition is a side effect from having radiation after having breast cancer, surgery and chemo. I am open to any suggestions you may have. I cannot tell you if there is any blood in my stool. My stool has been tested for everything possible that could be causing this, and all the results have come back negative. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
relieved on taking Basalazide and Budesonide suggestive of inflammatory bowel disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
As per your query you have been relieved on taking Basalazide and Budesonide. This is suggestive of fact that you have inflammatory bowel disease.Inflammatory bowel disease involves chronic inflammation of all or part of your digestive tract. IBD primarily includes ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Both usually involve severe diarrhea, pain, fatigue and weight loss.The exact cause of inflammatory bowel disease remains unknown.Most likely radiation surgery has nothing to do with this.More over problem of chronic diarrhea is from 7 years almost so we can say that it was undiagnosed inflammatory bowel.

You say that you have been tested for every thing.
By everything do you include colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy also?.
Listen,
During colonoscopy your doctor take small samples of tissue (biopsy) for laboratory analysis, which may help confirm a diagnosis. Clusters of inflammatory cells called granulomas, if present, help confirm a diagnosis of Crohn's disease.
Upper endoscopy. In this procedure, your doctor uses a slender, flexible, lighted tube to examine the esophagus, stomach and first part of the small intestine (duodenum).

Please revert back if these tests has already been done on you.
See if all these tests are normal then we can consider another possibility like irritable bowel syndrome.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist