question-icon

What Causes Persistent Diarrhea Along With Lower Abdominal Pain?

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017
Question: I have had constant diarrhea for 6 months now. I have lost 8 pounds and I have pain in my lower abdomen. i no longer have my ovaries or my appendix and i am so tired of pooping. I am 57 years old and I like to have wine on the weekends. I have done blood tests where the only thing I drink is on Saturday nights and my blood tests come back like i am unfit to drive. I usually have my blood tests done on Wednesday. Thus this brings up my question, I have had four poop samples done, one showed mucus, one showed blood but somehow i think my doctor is not taking me seriously because he doesn't drink. He keeps saying don't drink a bottle of wine on the weekend. I have to have my fourth poop sample done and I want to do it on Sunday, will the bottle of wine that I know I am going to drink on Saturday show up in my stool. Also my last blood test showed lack of oxygen, my blood was low, I still don't know what that means. I am sick and I cannot get any answers. i am so tired all the time.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Blood in poop if detected should be taken seriously can be hemorrhoid.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query .
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query answers are-
There are a few things to consider when a person has documeted evidence of bloodin the stool.

Generally, blood coming from higher levels (stomach and small bowel) converts into a dark coal black colour due to the changes the blood has in the bowel. It is the bleeding from lower parts (colon) that will show as bright red blood.

Have you ever had a colonoscopy done? After the age of 50, it is recommended that all people should have a colonoscopy every 5-10 years. Even if you have had this test in the last 5 years it might be recommended to repeat it as you are having this bleeding if the stool tests confirm you are really bleeding.Most likely as there was blood in one sample and the other one was normal it appears that you have hemorrhoiods.Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the lowest part of your rectum and anus. Sometimes the walls of these blood vessels stretch so thin that the veins bulge and get irritated,when poop rubs through it it starts to bleed.

A CBC would be a good test to be done if you suspect bleeding to see if you are developing anaemia as a complication of bleeding and need treatment for it or not.

So to conclude:
1. Go for proctoscopic examination of anal canal.

2 haemorrhoids if detected are mostly due to constipation so in meantime please make sure you take extra fibre with diet and drink plenty of water.
(once detected write a follow up and i will give you a detailed treatment)

4. if you had any massive rectal bleeding than an urgent visit to a doctor is needed.

I hope this is helpful and answers your questions but please feel free to reply in case any more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist