Owl Image

What causes persistent cough?

Owl Image
Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Question
Hello, my brother has been having a persistent cough for the last one week (no phlegm). He is allergic to macrolide antibiotics (the last time he had a cough, he was prescribed azithromycin and he ended up being in the hospital for a week due to severe hypoglycemia due to the antibiotic). So the doctor prescribed Levoday 500. He is particularly sensitive to antibiotics and I am trying to make sure that Levoday doesn't have too many nasty side-effects. He is a kidney patient and is undergoing regular hemodialysis.
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see detalied answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Welcome to health care magic forum.
I am Dr Aslam here.

Levofloxacin also can cause many side effects like allergic reactions including hypoglycemia. But this varies between individuals and a history of allergy to macrolides doesn't particularly increase the risk of allergy to levoflox.

Allergic reaction to a particular drug in an individual is noted incidentally on initial administration. Once established, this should be noted and should be informed to the doctor whenever you get a new prescription. Many a times, there will be cross allergy to other members of the class and it is better to avoid the class as a whole.

Regarding kidney disease, though levofloxacin is not contraindicated, precaution is needed. Maintain good hydration and it is better to get a renal function test before and after therapy.

You can discuss all these in detail with the treating doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Wishing both of you good health.Thank you.