What causes persistent cough?

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello, my brother has been having a persistent cough for the last one week (no phlegm). He is allergic to macrolide antibiotics (the last time he had a cough, he was prescribed azithromycin and he ended up being in the hospital for a week due to severe hypoglycemia due to the antibiotic). So the doctor prescribed Levoday 500. He is particularly sensitive to antibiotics and I am trying to make sure that Levoday doesn't have too many nasty side-effects. He is a kidney patient and is undergoing regular hemodialysis.
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see detalied answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Welcome to health care magic forum.
I am Dr Aslam here.

Levofloxacin also can cause many side effects like allergic reactions including hypoglycemia. But this varies between individuals and a history of allergy to macrolides doesn't particularly increase the risk of allergy to levoflox.

Allergic reaction to a particular drug in an individual is noted incidentally on initial administration. Once established, this should be noted and should be informed to the doctor whenever you get a new prescription. Many a times, there will be cross allergy to other members of the class and it is better to avoid the class as a whole.

Regarding kidney disease, though levofloxacin is not contraindicated, precaution is needed. Maintain good hydration and it is better to get a renal function test before and after therapy.

You can discuss all these in detail with the treating doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Wishing both of you good health.Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari