What causes persistent cough?
Needs to be evaluated.
Thanks for posting the query on HCM. After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:
1. If you are a non smoker then chances of allergy is there.
2.Since how long are the symptoms present?any fever? Do you have associated breathlessness? burning pain in abdomen? seasonal exacerbations of symptoms eg. in cloudy weather or winter? associated wheezing episodes of breathlessness? associated cold? any allergy to dust, fumes? any previous history of similar symptoms since childhood? any one in the family with similar history?
3. You need to get the symptom clinicaly evaluated by a Pulmonologist. Investigations that may be required are Chest Xray, Pulmonary function test, sputum examination and some blood tests -peripheral smear and serum IgE levels.
4. As per the evaluation findings the management can then be titrated.
5. There is a possibility of allergy, obstructive airway disease/ Asthma or hyperresponsive airways. A more detailed history as mentioned in point 2 is required for specific etiology.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.
Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Palpitations cause persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and cold
- What causes persistent cough after an upper respiratory tract infection
- What is the cure for persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and occasional dizziness
- What causes persistant coughing and choking
- What is the cause for persistent cough in child
- Can alcohol consumption cause persistent cough
- Persistant cough causes
- What causes persistent cough in a 14 months old