What causes persistent cough while eating in an elderly person?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: When eating sometimes, I'll start to coughing. Which is then hard to stop. I 've had this problem for only about a year.
I am 68 yrs young and generally in good health.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consideration

Detailed Answer:
thank you for sending the question. I have a couple of considerations for you.

It is possible that you may be experiencing gastritis which refers to inflammation of the stomach lining. This can sometimes cause food to regurgitate from the lower part of the Soffa guess which stimulates coughing. In addition you may be experiencing a significant degree of acid secretions in the lower part of the esophagus and sometimes the secretions will bubble over hiring to the soffit guess and trigger a symptom of coughing.

You can address the symptoms with medication to help decrease the acid secretion in the stomach including such medications as omeprazole. I will try that once or twice per day for the next couple of weeks to see how your symptoms respond. Also you would want to adjust your diet so you minimize very heavy deep fried or greasy foods as this might make the situation even worse.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj