Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

What causes persistent cough, sinus pain, body aches and fever?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 69 Questions
My symptoms are deep chest cough, some sinus pain, body aches and fever ranging from 101-102.
I’ve been taking NyQuil severe cold and flu, and Mucinex severe cough and congestion. Not seeing any improvement. Symptoms started with a bad cough Tuesday night. Fever and body aches on Wednesday. Same Thursday and today, Friday. I’ve also been drinking lots of fluids(water, juice). And chicken soup.
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

This sounds very much like flu (influenza): body aches, respiratory symptoms, high fever. Especially if it came on rapidly.

Flu is a viral infection and there isn't much that can be done to treat it. Hydration is very important as is rest.

However, if you have medical problems which could complicate this such as asthma, diabetes, chemotherapy, tobacco smoker or other immunological problems, then I recommend that you go in to be checked.

I do expect for the fevers to start going down in the next day though - at least out of the high fever range.

The other thing that may be going on (not as the initial cause but as a complication) is pneumonia. That will give a high fever and cough, usually productive of infected looking sputum (and not just looking like that after you get up after lying down for awhile).

So - if you are keeping up with fluids, and your cough does not seem too bad, and no underlying risk for complications then you can wait it out. But otherwise do go in to an urgent care clinic that has the ability to do X-rays as a chest X-ray will help sort out if there is possible pneumonia.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor