• question-icon

What causes persistent cough in an infant?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor, my 14 month old daughter is having cough for past 4 days. It comes in the morning when she gets up for a minute or two and she coughs around 2 or 4 times rest of the day. There is bit of phlegm in the cough when she is coughing. At times it comes out if she is coughing while having food. She sneezes once or twice in the day and some phlegm comes out through nose. We went to a doc and asked us to give nebuliser as there is slight congestion in the chest and administer ascorild. We are wondering if we really need to give nebuliser or is there any other way we can treat this cough. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and it is advisable to give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days. It will take care of the sneezing as well as nasal discharge.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. It serves as a home-alternative for nebulisation. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician