• question-icon

    What causes persistent cough in an elderly person on continuous use of tobacco?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: My Father-in-law aged 65, a heart patient, addicted to taking pan XXXXXXX kind of substance ( paakku in tamil), which causes continuous coughing and detected heart bulging through echo scanning. His last son is yet to get married. His son, wife and daughter (my wife) are scolding and shouting at him. this high calibered retired govt officer is not able to speak in front of them. As a well wisher, I want to make him out of this habit and come back to normal health and get into his normal life. nowadays he is always lying in bed like a patient. I need your kind advise.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please take him to a de addiction center for professional assistance

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. I have served in a de addiction center during my career and find that consulting doctors at a de addiction center near your house might help your father in law give up this habit.

2. A de addiction center is run by psychiatrist doctors and clinical psychologists and psychiatry social workers.

3. In some centers the patient is admitted for some time and counselling is done. The idea of admission is to keep the patient away from the source of addictive substance and to educate the advantages of quitting habits. Please inform the doctor about his heart condition and medicines he is taking.

4. If he does not want admission then he can get counselled like an out patient and he will have to make several visits and then slowly he will be able to give up his habit.

5. He will also have to be motivated to participate in daily activities to keep him fit. New hobbies can be started after retirement and counselors will help him with that. It requires effort and participation of his family. Nice to know that you are taking interest in helping him quit the habit. I request other people in family to help him and not criticize his habit.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Answered by
Dr. Vivek Chail


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6708 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

176 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Vivek Chail
  • Q - Done with CAT scan and ultrasound. Taking Testosterone. Ultrasound...

  • Q - Scheduled for fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy. Should I go ahead...

  • Q - Fell down and hurt chest. What are the findings in the x-ray report?

  • Q - Is there any treatment to increase the size of penis?

  • Q - Had a history of colon cancer and had bowel resection. Left butt is...

  • Q - Swollen lymph nodes under arms and groin hurts and have sores. Could...

  • Q - Suffered arachnoid hemorrhage after head injury. Suffer constant...

  • Q - What is the cause for itchy underarms?

  • Q - On warfarin for PE. Having bleeding from rectum. Should I go to the ER?

  • Q - Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in...