What causes persistent cough in an elderly person on continuous use of tobacco?
Please take him to a de addiction center for professional assistance
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. I have served in a de addiction center during my career and find that consulting doctors at a de addiction center near your house might help your father in law give up this habit.
2. A de addiction center is run by psychiatrist doctors and clinical psychologists and psychiatry social workers.
3. In some centers the patient is admitted for some time and counselling is done. The idea of admission is to keep the patient away from the source of addictive substance and to educate the advantages of quitting habits. Please inform the doctor about his heart condition and medicines he is taking.
4. If he does not want admission then he can get counselled like an out patient and he will have to make several visits and then slowly he will be able to give up his habit.
5. He will also have to be motivated to participate in daily activities to keep him fit. New hobbies can be started after retirement and counselors will help him with that. It requires effort and participation of his family. Nice to know that you are taking interest in helping him quit the habit. I request other people in family to help him and not criticize his habit.
Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Palpitations cause persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and cold
- What causes persistent cough after an upper respiratory tract infection
- What is the cure for persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and occasional dizziness
- What causes persistant coughing and choking
- What is the cause for persistent cough in child
- Can alcohol consumption cause persistent cough
- Persistant cough causes
- What causes persistent cough in a 14 months old