question-icon

What causes persistent cough in a person with emphysema and COPD?

Posted on Sat, 7 May 2016
Question: i'm a patient with emphysema and copd and i have a very persisting cough for about two weeks already.My doctor racomment me to have blood work to check if i have perussis. Do you think that i have the symtoms
ale
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should get done blood test.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
COPD patients are prone for lung infection because of poor lung defense.
And infection can cause constant coughing.
So better to get done blood test to rule out infection like pertussis or streptococcal or viral.
You may need antibiotic.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist