What causes persistent cough despite being on Prednisone?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have unrelenting cough for two months two rounds of antibiotics prednisone pack with temporary slight improvement no fever in upper respiratory area only never any heavy mucus and no lung or bronchial involvement two lung X-rays showing completely clear never smoked and never previous problem healthy and previously always work and active
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done PFT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You are having chronic cough (cough for more than 2 weeks).
You had slight improvement with oral prednisone (steroid - anti inflammatory).
Yoi have normal chest x ray twice.
All these these points are in the favor of bronchitis (inflammation of airways).
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test)
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You will mostly improve with inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
Please let me know
1. Do you smoke?
2. Have you ever undergone PFT?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 20 hours later
No I do not smoke nor have ever pft no have not

Inhaler. Best option?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Will you able to get it over the counter?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Best inhaler for bronchitis is duolin.
It is having levosalbutamol and ipratropium bromide combination.
Will you able to get it over the counter, without prescription?
Where do you live (Country)?