What causes persistent cough and shortness of breath when diagnosed with asthma?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: i HAVE THIS COUGH THAT NEVER GOES AWAY. sOMETIMES I BRING UP CLEAR MUCUS.i HAVE BEEN TOLD I HAVE ASTHMA AND COPD.i TAKE sINGULAR AND HAVE 2 INHALERS, sYMBCROIT ns pro air.Bit this cough is always there, I have acid reflux disease.Could it be my heart that is making cough and shortness of breathe. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have you ever undergone 2d echo?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Since you are having asthma and COPD, on long run, these diseases can cause pulmonary hypertension and cor pulmonale and heart failure.
This can lead to cough.
So please let me know
1. Since how long you are suffering from asthma and COPD?
2. Have you ever undergone 2d echo?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 50 minutes later
I have had Astma for since about 1991
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have you ever undergone 2d echo?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
So you are having asthma since very long, almost 25 years.
What about 2d echo?
Have you ever undergone 2d echo?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 33 minutes later
No never had 2d echo before. Exactly what is that.Had breathing test done.Did have some pain under my breast bone and sometimes a pain in middle of my chest. Just lasted a minute or two.

did DR Kaushai Bhavsar get my reply. That i have never had a 2decho.I have some pain under my rib cage and pain in chest in the middle it last for a minute or tw
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, I got your reply.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Yes, I got your reply.
Actually u was taking lunch so not able to reply.
Now I am free.
You should definitely get done 2d echo first.. This will tell you about your heart function and damage if at all occur.
Long standing asthma and COPD can cause heart damage.
You are also having chest pain (central).
So please let me know
1. Do you have hypertension or diabetes?
2. Do you have reflux disease (acidity)?
3. How many times in a day, you are having this kind of chest pain?
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Yes i have Hypertension. I take HTCZ for it.Yes i have Acid Reflux take pantoperzole for it.Get the chest pain just once in awhile.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Uncontrolled GERD can also cause cough.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
You should definitely get done 2d echo to rule out heart diseases because you also have hypertension along with asthma and COPD.
Sometimes, uncontrolled GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) can also cause cough, acidity and central chest pain.
And if GERD is not controlled then this can be the reason for your uncontrolled cough.
So please let me know
1. Do you have belching?
2. Do you have burning epigastric pain?
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
yes i do have belching. A nd sometimes i epigastric pain not much. thank you for your help. I am going to make an appointment to get and 2d echo done. thanks for taking your time to help,.I WONT BROTHER YOU ANYMORE TODAY. tHANKS XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Control of GERD is must to control cough in your case.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
You are having uncontrolled GERD and this is the likely cause for your constant cough.
So control of GERD is must to subside cough.
And also get done 2d echo to rule out heart damage.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.