What causes persistent cough and constant headache?
depends on the cause
dealing with cough depends on its cause. Judging from your age and the duration of the symptoms, it seems more likely that your cough is of infectious etiology. In cases like this, your doctor has to make sure that you don't have a treatable condition like pneumonia or sinusitis. Most cases are viral, so no treatment may help.
If your doctor believes that bacteria may have caused your cough then antibiotic treatment will help. Cough syrup can be tried but they rarely help significantly. Your doctor can also detect signs of bronchospasm (transient airway narrowing) in your lungs which is something like an asthmatic attack and may also cause cough in susceptible individuals. If the infection has already subsided but you still have cough then it could be what we call "post-infectious cough". Sometimes antibiotics are given for this condition but we usually wait until a couple of weeks have passed before initiating them. In cases where the antibiotics won't help, inhaled ipratropium can be tried. Post-infectious cough won't last for more than 2 months.
So in conclusion, you should visit your doctor for clinical examination because some treatable conditions can be diagnosed. If no such condition is diagnosed then only the cough syrup and perhaps an antibiotic course and ipratropium after a few days may help.
I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Palpitations cause persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and cold
- What is the cure for persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and occasional dizziness
- What causes constant headaches with dizziness and lightheadedness
- What is the cause of having constant headache and dizziness
- What causes persistant coughing and choking
- What is the cause for persistent cough in child
- Persistant cough causes
- What causes persistent cough in a 14 months old