What causes persistent cough along with dizziness?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a cough with dizziness. I have had since before Christmas.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details carefully and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to a viral infection which usually also has an allergic component.

Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. Tablet Montair LC (Montelukast + Levocetirizine) is a prescription medicine which should help. Cetirizine (5mg once daily) is an over the counter alternative that can also be used instead.

You need to take steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

You also need to take plenty of water and fluids. It will help in case of dizziness.

I hope that I could clear your doubts. Please feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee