• question-icon

What causes persistent coldness in hands, feet and nerve pain in upper legs?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello!

Since a couple of weeks I have terrible cold hands and feet, also have "nerve" pain in the upper legs.. on both sides. Its a very cold feeling..
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I read your question carefully and also viewed the two photographs that you have uploaded.

Looking at those photographs you do have a point to be concerned. In the first photograph there is obvious swelling and redness of the hand accompanied in the second photo by livedo reticularis, a skin finding where the skin looks mottled and purplish, in a net like pattern.

Now at times it may mean nothing, may be simple exposure to cold (but I suppose you have taken that into account and is not the case), or may be without an identifiable cause. However other times it may be in the setting of vasculitis, inflammation of blood vessels found in reumatological conditions like systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, polyarteritis nodosa etc, conditions which may explain those findings.

So some attention is necessary, starting with a visit by your primary physician or a rheumatologist, possibly followed by some blood tests such as blood count, inflammatory markers (erythrocyte sedimentation rate, c-reactive protein), antinuclear antibodies, rheumatoid factor.
Further steps, whether more tests or treatment, will depend on examination findings and tests' results.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist