• question-icon

What causes persistent chest pain while on Prilosec?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Heart Attack
Question: Hello I've been experiencing a horse throat a chest pains for a few weeks. I've had GERD for a while, but haven't done anything about it except take tums as needed. I spoke with my Dr. on the telephone yesterday and he suggested that I start Prilosec and see him Monday (tomorrow). Tonight was my second dose of the prilosec which I took about an hour ago. For the past fifteen minutes or so my throat and hands have gone tingling and I'm sweating a lot. Should I wait for my Dr's appointment tomorrow or go to the ER now?My foot is going into pins and needles now too.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chest discomfort with sweating > Rush to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that although GERD is highly likely to be the reason of your symptoms but even then if you are experiencing chest discomfort with sweating it's highly advisable to seek a medical care and get proper evaluation.

You need to get one ECG and probably Cardiac markers done in the ER to rule out the possibility of any impending heart attack.

So its advisable that you should go to ER.

I hope this information will guide you in the right direction. Take care

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 4 minutes later
I'm not currently experiencing any chest pains. I get a sharp pain from time to time on the left side of my chest, but I haven't had one in a few hours. I have an EKG scheduled for tomorrow. I really don't have a lot of money so I'm always hesitant to go to the ER. I have stopped sweating in the last 5 minutes or so. Do you still think I should go to the ER? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Okay, currently if there is no pain and sweating then you can safely wait till tomorrow appointment.

But you need to take care that you should not exert physically to much just do your routine physical activity and take breaks in between.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist