• question-icon

What causes persistent chest discomfort and dry cough?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: So I have been experiencing a slight discomfort in my chest for over a month. It feels more like what a sore muscle would feel like but recently I also started having a dry somewhat persistant cough.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow up with necessary details

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

Before I can give you a definite answer I would like to know more about the pain you are experiencing.

These questions will help differentiate musculoskeletal pain from other causes like cardiac pain.

Have you noticed the pain with activity/exertion?
Do you notice pain radiating to arms/jaw?
Is the pain constant/intermittent?
Have you noticed any breathing difficulty?
Do you notice the pain worsening on touching the area?
Is your cough associated with fever, wheezing?
Do you have history of high cholesterol, hypertension or diabetes?
Are you currently on any medications?

Please follow up with these details so that I can give an accurate answer.

Awaiting
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 47 minutes later
Have you noticed the pain with activity/exertion? No, and it is more of a discomfort than pain
Do you notice pain radiating to arms/jaw? Yes the discomfort is in my arm as well as in my back below the shoulder blade
Is the pain constant/intermittent? The discomfort as of late has been more constant
Have you noticed any breathing difficulty? Just recently with this dry cough and a little bit of wheezing
Do you notice the pain worsening on touching the area? Just slightly
Is your cough associated with fever, wheezing? No fever, just slight wheezing
Do you have history of high cholesterol, hypertension or diabetes? No
Are you currently on any medications? no
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thank you for following up

Your symptoms are suggestive of Musculoskeletal pain due to muscle strain.
Chronic cough can cause such discomfort.

You can take Tylenol (if not allergic) for sore muscle.
Regarding the cough - chronic cough along with wheezing need evaluation for asthma.
Please be advised to follow up with a pulmonologist to undergo Pulmonary function testing to rule out asthma. Appropriate management of asthma with bronchodilators will help relieve the cough and wheezing.
If Pulmonary function testing comes back normal, another important possibility that has to be looked into is GERD(Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease).

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 14 minutes later
So you don't believe this is heart related? I have had some irregular heart beats and also feel some strange coolness inside by my heart. The heart beat issue has been going on for a while but the cough just started a few days ago. I don't feel ill otherwise. There is a bit of discomfort/numbness down my left arm and some discomfort in my back on the left side as well.
If you still hold with the above diagnosis after this information I will be happy with that.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

The pain you are describing is not typical of a heart condition. Coronary artery disease/ anginal pain is not constant (it comes and goes esp. with activity) and the pain does not worsen on touching the area.
However, the location of pain is the only characteristic that is in favor of coronary artery disease/ angina.
Since you are also complaining of irregular heart beats, I definitely recommend getting an EKG done. It will help to put your mind at ease and rule out arrhythmias if any as the cause of irregular heart beat.
Stressing about having a cardiac problem can cause such irregular heartbeat, skipped beat etc which is completely benign.
You do not have to worry at this point. I am recommending EKG just to make sure everything is fine.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal