• question-icon

What causes persistent buzzing in ear, excessive mucus, cough and discomfort in throat?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I get continued buzzy in my ear, nasual excess mucus issues with a tight burning sensation that travels on the left side of my face through my throat down the centre of my chest, with the need to cough...have a ache at the base of my skull on the left side, which hurts if i turn my head tightly in that direction, also have a unrisen rash the appears on my neck
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may need decongestant, antihistamine, pain killer, cream

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The buzzing in ear (called tinnitus), excess mucus, cough and discomfort in the face and throat are likely related to rhinosinusitis which refers to inflammation/infection of the nose and sinus passages.

This can be due to allergies or acute infection such as the cough/cold which is usually viral (would normally have systemic symptoms such as fever, fatigue, loss of appetite).
Bacterial sinus infection can also cause these symptoms though it is not as common
The rash may be related or may be separate issue. Rash can sometimes occur in viral infections, called viral exanthem.
If it is a viral exanthem , it would improve when the other symptoms improve (cough, mucus etc)

If the rash does not improve or worsens, may need to be assessed.

The discomfort in the neck which is worse on movement may be due to inflammation/spasm of the muscles in the neck.

Treatment:(1) antihistamine , decongestant combination would help with nose/sinus symptoms
These are over the counter

(2)a topical steroid nasal spray can be added if no improvement eg nasonex, nasocort, flonase, rhinocort

(3)pain killer would help with discomfort in the face and neck. You should use an anti inflammatory pain killer eg ibuprofen, cataflam, naproxen

(4)you may also need a muscle relaxant to help with the neck as well if the pain killer on its own is not enough

(5)if the rash is itchy - then the use of a steroid cream such as hydrocortisone would help

This would also be over the counter as well

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Thank you for your reply and can understand, that you are treating these symptons as individual but these symptoms all seemed to appear at the same time about 6 months ago...
Have had numerous tests numerous doctor but to no avail. Originally thought possibily shingles as symptoms were quite similar, but not "blistery" rash appeared..The aboved symptoms all seem to have there peeks and flows and react at the same time, sort of like a hot flush, like someone has turned on a tap...
Hot internal cramping sensation that travel just the left side of the body,left nasual cavity, itchy face and head left side and can last for hours, with some days better than others...sometimes it feel like my body has poisoned itsself, with some day having to go to the toliet 4/5 time a day with at times my poo a yellow colour, but not loose just soft...
I do have sinus issues at times, but all this is intense and advise are not related. With the continued macus seems to build up in the back passage and more in the left nostrual and i can only clear it by extracting it through the back passage.. Dont know if this continued mostion, has caused the pain i have in the base of my skull near my neck..
As stated these symptoms all happened at the same time, just dont know if possiblly i could be carrying a bug thats running ramptom in my body with a feeling of intoxatio Note no fever, fatigue or loss of appetiten
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
consider complete blood count, thyroid, consultation

Detailed Answer:
HI

It is understandable to be concerned about the possibility of an ongoing infection since the symptoms have been ongoing for 6 months.

Most infections would normally cause changes in certain blood tests particularly the complete blood count and ESR (looks for inflammation in the body - can be due to infection, trauma, allergies,autoimmune diseases such as lupus cancer etc)
If these have not been done then should be done at some point. The white cell count would normally go up if an infection is present.

Parts of the white cell count would also be affected if any allergy is present.

Because of the hot flush sensation, thyroid function tests may also be needed, if not already done

You may also want to consider seeing an ENT doctor to take a look at the nasal passage to see if the septum is deviated, this can cause obstruction more on one side than the other

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James