What causes persistent burning sensation in the vagina despite taking medication?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Treated a yeast infection and now have burning in one spot. Using an old prescription from my Gyn of Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment and still have burning in one area. What can I use to get rid of this?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wash and dry before applying ointment

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns. This burning area you are describing is due to the chronic inflammation caused by yeast infection.

I suggest you clean the burning area twice a day with soap and water and make it dry.

You can apply ointment after one hour of drying.

This will reduce burning.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Isnt the yeast infection gone? I finished treatment Sat 9/20. I will do as you suggested. Should I try a different ointment?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yeast needs to be treated

Detailed Answer:

It will be better to try different ointment as i suggested above.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 2 days later
Would yeast or vaginal bacterial infections cause lower back pain?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

Untreated infection over long time of few years are likely to cause back pain. If not there could be other reasons for backpain.
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 11 minutes later
I treated yeast infection and did what you as far as washing with soap twice a day and burning has stopped. No discharge, no odor, no itching. I'm assuming that this has cleared up. So back pain can be from other causes?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good to know it has cleared up

Detailed Answer:

This could be temporary clearance. If it appears again, you have to repeat what I suggested. Yeast infections are likely to repeat.