What causes persistent brown tiny blood clots in nasal cavity?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 23 yr old male. seems like I have tiny blood clots in my nose. been about 3 months with this. they seem brown, and I have not had nose bleeds. smoker for 5 years. had a CT scan done about a year ago with a possible pulmonary nodular acetclasis. Have not had another one since. I do have mild asthma and mast cell activation disorder.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Old bleeding related to asthma/mast cell activation;further info required..

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns!

Having persisting brown tiny blood clots for almost 3 months are related to old bleeding in your nasal cavity. You are saying to have mild asthma and mast cell activation problems that could be probably related to this.

I need to know what medications you are currently taking for asthma? And for how long have you been taking them? Is there any change in your current treatment recently?

Smoking is an aggravating factor that could alter such inflammatory processes leading to bleeding. That's why it is very important to trying to stop smoking.

You are also saying that a previous Ct-scan showed possible pulmonary nodular atelectasis. Can you please provide that ct-scan report so I can analyze myself?
Generally, such changes are correlative to asthma attacks.

Looking forward to have the requested info in for a more specific opinion!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 13 hours later
No current medication for asthma. Never was bad enough to have anything other then an albuterol inhaler.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

I have gone through your ct-scan report and can say that the changes noted there are due to asthma.

If all your blood tests resulted normal with no blood disorders, then a further examination of nasal blood vessels is needed to evaluate any local abnormal changes.

Next, smoking, asthma and mast cell activation are also making your nasal blood vessels more vulnerable.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana