• question-icon

What causes persistent anxiety?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Not sure whether this is just my anxiety, hoping to reaffirm that it is.

My left arm has strange feelings in it. Whenever my thumb is under any position that isn't relaxed, it feels like a joint popping sensation; there is no pain but i can feel like a tendon or something doing a snapping like sensation. I will also feel this in my bicep, again no pain. After using my left arm, my bicep will feel like it is swelling, even though visibly it looks fine. The bicep also gets itchy, and I also get a feeling like a sleeve is on top of my bicep.

I'll also get similair sensations in my shoulder and neck on the left side.

I am cautious that it is just my anxiety and I have a highetened sense of the feelings in my arm but it has been like this for 2-3 months now. Some days it is worse, some days it is better but its never gone.

Does this sound like it could be a physical symptom of my anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve compression in the shoulder/neck.

Detailed Answer:

I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Since everything is in the left arm, and the way you are describing it, your problem may be anxiety, but also it can be a nerve problem in the shoulder which radiates in all the arm.
It might have happened with a movement or a repetitive movement. It needs around 6 weeks for a nerve damage to heal, unless it has not been injured again during this time.

There are my recommendations:
- Try to keep the arm in neutral position as much as possible, for example don't sleep in that side, avoid work that needs the arm up, ect.
- Take a pain killer which will reduce the inflammation like Ibuprofen 400mg, 1 tb 3 times/day for 2 weeks.
- You will need physical therapy, so I would recommend if you have access locally.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local neurologist, who would examine you and understand what the problem is.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Klarida Papaqako