What causes persistent and recurrent inflammation in the joints?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have reoccurring inflammation in my joints. This occurs in both knees, one ankle, and sometimes both elbows. Tests have ruled out rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, Lyme Disease, Gout. Also, orthopedic surgeon has ruled out needing a knee replacement at this time, as I am just 56 years old. When excessive fluid from knees is drained, inflammation from elbows goes away. Family doctor does not know where to go with this to help me find out what is causing the inflammation. I am currently on Prednisone and that is providing relief.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Autoimmune disease likely.

Detailed Answer:
The persistent and recurrent inflammation in the joints is likely to be related to an autoimmune cause. It can be due to rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc.
To pinpoint the diagnosis, complete physical examination and investigations like complete blood counts, ESR, RA factor, CRP, serum uric acid, serum creatinine, X-ray and MRI joints from a rheumatologist are needed.
Prednisolone will reduce the inflammation and will provide a temporary relief.
You can try gaultheria oil or oil of winter green,so many patients of mine are telling they are relieved of pain with that.

You have to apply the oil on the area that has pain.

Increasing the dietary fish intake and/or fish oil capsules (omega-3 capsules) can sometimes reduce the inflammation .

Take vegetables and fruits that are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega-3 Fatty acid, Zinc, Magensium and many more.

Hydrotherapy or Water Therapy for treatment of arthritis- Warm water is excellent source to ease and reduce joint pain, they relaxes muscles and increases motion.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 hours later
Rheumatoid Arthritis and Gout, have been ruled out. When joint fluid has been removed from the knees, the amount of fluid removed is anywhere from 80 - 120 cc's. Once the fluid is removed, this alleviates the inflammation from the other joints. If arms or knees are strained by bending or lifting, the inflammation comes back.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteoarthritis likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The recurrent collection of fluid is likely to be due to osteoarthritis if rheumatoid arthritis and gout have been ruled out. It suggests an inflamed synovial membrane. This can be reduced by local steroid injections and joint lubricant supplements. You can discuss regarding these options with your orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.