What causes persistent abdominal pain and bloating?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 21 Oct 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Less than a year I started having bloatin and stomach problems. I can wake all hours of the night with a stomach ache and diarrhea also wake in the morning with the same bloated feeling. I look pregnant.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:

Noted the history and understood the concerns.
This looks to be a long lasting problem as you have noted, in spite of a 2 week course of antibiotics for bacteria that caused ulcer.

You still have bloating, pain in abdomen and diarrhea. This indicates the problem persists and needs a proper clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to get a proper cause so that an appropriate management can be done.

Hence I would advise you the following:

Consult your Doctor/ Gastroenterologist for clinical evaluation.
Tests of stool for 3 consecutive days helps in many cases to get the proper cause.
Tests of blood for CBC, thyroid and liver functions.
X-ray of abdomen in standing position.
Ultrasonography of abdomen and CT scan if required/advised for.
Sometimes a 5 day course of an antibiotic active against intestinal infection, Metronidazole can help. Needs a valid prescription.

Have probiotics, bananas, activated charcoal tablets, yogurt/curds.
If a specific cause is found during the investigations it will be treated accordingly.
If all the investigations are within normal limits then a possibility of IBS that is irritable bowel syndrome has also to be considered and treated accordingly.
Avoid stress, anxiety, foods and beverages that instigate or enhance the problems and stop these altogether.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon