What causes persistent GI problems, fever and severe fatigue?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Question: I have had 8 days of GI problems (running stool), fever for just 1 day, and a lot of fatigue still 10 days out. I still feel feverish but have no temperature when temp is taken. I am not really having the runs any more, but I have weird hunger pains. oh and I just got back form El XXXXXXX 14 days ago. Should I go get tested? I was letting it run its coarse, so to speak.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Appear to be an episode of gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you are suffering from a attack of gastroenteritis. Bug may have been contracted during your travel or through some contaminated food or drink.

The lethargy and feverish feeling which you are feeling also indicate infection as well as fluids or electrolytes loss. You need to have it tested for sure and you can stool woth stool analysis and blood work up including serum electrolytes and renal function tests to look for any signs of dehydration.

Meanwhile start replacing the lost salts and water through oral rehydration salts and keep temperature record because you may need to have a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin alongwith metronidazole alongwith analgesics like acetaminophen. Keep on using soft diets and avoid foods containing high protiens or fats.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj