• question-icon

What causes peripheral neuropathy in a patient with diabetes?

Posted on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My neuropathy comes and goes it is primarily in my feet but also at times can cause severe numbness in my hands and forearms. I have also notice that I seem to be craving sugar lately. Does sugar have an affect on neuropathy? I've also notice that when the barometric pressure changes my neuropathy flares up. I also was diagnosed with MGUS, and am being treated at the Hillman Cancer Center @ UPMC. Do the two share anything in common? Please respond. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MGUS certainly related, sugar possibly.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Sugar can have an effect on neuropathy. Diabetes which is associated with high blood sugar levels is in fact the most common cause of neuropathy. Of course that depends also on your metabolism, eating sugar doesn't automatically transfer into high blood sugar level, it depends also on insulin production and responsiveness of the tissues to insulin action. But it is a sign of alarm which should prompt into testing for diabetes if not already done so recently.

As for the MGUS diagnosis, yes it can very much be related to your neuropathy. MGUS can cause a number of peripheral nervous system disorders, polyneuropathy being one of them. Signs of neuropathy may actually be present for some time before the diagnosis of MGUS has been made. The fact you didn't respond to Gabapentin may be related as well, as MGUS related neuropathy is often less responsive to medication for neuropathic pain like gabapentin.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist