What causes periods during breast feeding?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi I am a breastfeeding mom of a two month old. I had a c section On 23 may and got my periods today. It is full fledged flow so far. I had read that one will nit have periods while breastfeeding. But not sure if I shud get it checked. If it's regular cud you please let me know of a tablet to delay it next month as I have a XXXXXXX for

My son on his naming ceremony. Would it affect the supply of milk and my sons health? Any other means by which I can delay it?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DO NOT WORRY, MILK SUPPLY WONT BE AFFECTED

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Exclusive breast feeding generally means that most women do not menstruate.
However it is not a hard and fast rule.
Some women may resume normal periods also, so do not be worried.
If this is like your normal period in terms of flow and duration, then no need for any checkup.
Of course, I assume that you had your normal post partum check up, which every woman should have, at 6 weeks after delivery.
If not, then have a gynecological assessment and also a pelvic ultrasound scan to confirm that everything is alright.
After delivery, periods are not predictable.
You might have had a period now, and the next one maybe delayed or earlier.
The best option is - start taking a contraceptive pill that does not affect breast milk secretion , for eg, Cerazette.
Continue taking it daily, without a break in between, till the ceremony is over.
Once you stop, you would have withdrawal bleeding, after which you can re start if you wish to continue using it for contraceptive purposes also.
You would need contraception too if you are sexually active, as periods mean that you are now ovulating also.
Do not worry, as having periods does not mean that your milk supply will be affected , and in no way, will it affect your son's well being.
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: What causes periods during breast feeding? 1 hour later
thank you for ur answer. I have completed six weeks check up and everything was fine. however my doc did not request for aN ultrasound. is it required? this was similar to my regular periods.
regarding the contraceptives when should I start and if the recommended pill is not available in XXXXXXX can you gimme smomeother tablet too?
I had read that these pills may impact the supply?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
CERAZETTE WONT AFFECT MILK SUPPLY

Detailed Answer:
Hi, as the clinical examination by your doctor was normal, there is no need for an ultrasound scan.
This does sound like your normal period.
Contraceptives containing both estrogen and progesterone affect breast milk supply.
Only progesterone pills do not affect it, I have suggested this type of a pill for you.
Cerazette will certainly be available in XXXXXXX try a leading standard chemist and let me know if you do not find it.
You can start today or tomorrow as it is the first / second day of your cycle.
As long as you take it continuously without a break, you will not menstruate.
So it will serve the purpose of postponing your periods during the XXXXXXX that is coming up also.
Hope this helped you.
At any point of time, you can contact me directly for any kind of help by writing in at -http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-aarti-abraham/64623

Follow-up: What causes periods during breast feeding? 9 hours later
hi...today is day 4. can I start taking this around 12th of august as my periods r closer?would it work?
else can I take the delaying tablet such premolut?would this work?would it have any side effects on the breast milk?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
OC PILLS TO BE TAKEN FROM TODAY, REST EXPLAINED

Detailed Answer:
Hello
If you wish to start it for contraceptive purpose or for delaying a period, you should start it today and no later, definitely not on August 12th.
For delaying the periods, Primulot - N can be taken, please let me know the expected date of the next periods and the dates during which you do not wish to bleed.
Primolut also does not affect breast milk supply but it will not be a contraceptive.

Follow-up: What causes periods during breast feeding? 2 days later
thx fir the detailed answer. am not sexually active as of now for next few months. so I do not want contraceptives. my periods is on 16 th. XXXXXXX is on 18 th. pls let me know wen I shud start. any specific time of the day I shud take?any specific diet to follow?
appreciate ur answers. thx.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
WHAT IS YOUR WEIGHT

Detailed Answer:
Okay, what is your weight may I know, so that I can direct the dosage ?